With 78 million baby boomers preparing to retire and 2010 Roth IRA rule changes that will make Roth IRAs more accessible, the volume of assets moving from qualified plans into IRAs is expected to reach levels never before experienced in the retirement plan industry. Retirement plan professionals and record keepers must be prepared to handle a heavy volume of plan distributions destined for IRAs efficiently and in compliance with the many related laws and regulations.
To help pension administrators better understand the savings opportunity presented by IRAs and assess whether their IRA-related transactions are both efficient and in compliance, NIPA has developed a course of study titled, IRA Essentials. This course provides retirement plan professionals the IRA information that is essential to their business.
- Gain a basic understanding of how IRAs differ from qualified retirement plan arrangements (e.g., tax benefits, distribution restrictions, reporting)
- Learn about the various types of IRAs that can accept retirement plan distributions
- Understand the various rollover options and related operational implications
- Grasp beneficiary options and the corresponding payout rules
- Learn how the conversion and re-characterization options interact with the rollover rules
- Assess the reporting and disclosure requirements related to retirement plan portability